JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers
LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners
Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Oman - Communications


Omantel (Oman Telecommunication Company) has the monopoly on both landline and internet services in the in the country. Another arm of the same company, Omanmobile deals with the mobile telephone part of the business. Omantel is 70% owned by the government with the other 30% being made public in 2005. Qatar Telecommunications Company (QTEL) also offers mobile phone services in Oman under the brand name Nawras after being granted a second licence. Nawras launched its 3G network with 1 megabit download speeds in 2007 and both Nawras and Omanmobile offer mobile internet access through EDGE.

Privately owned companies are now starting to emerge into the Omani Media market with satellite dishes being permitted to be used by private residences. Government censorship of programming for both political and cultural reasons is commonplace and television programmes are mostly broadcast in Arabic, although there are some English language services.

Internet cafes can be found throughout the country, mainly in the capital and larger cities, and ADSL broadband services were launched by Omantel in 2005, offering various packages for the home user. Internet usage has increased a great deal over the last few years with the continued development of the country.

The telephone country code is (00)968 and payphones are commonplace around the country. The payphones usually work on a phone card system and phone booths are usually found in clusters of 2 or more, but there is an increasing amount of mobile phone usage as call charges become cheaper. Mobile roaming for international users is available for many networks although coverage is unreliable even in larger cities. For expats it is a good idea to obtain an Omani mobile phone and sim card to ensure that you are not paying more than you need to.

Radio Oman is run by the state and is broadcast in both Arabic and English. Hala Fm is a privately owned music radio station broadcast in Arabic.

The postal service is very reliable; items sent via airmail usually take up to 10 days to arrive in Western Europe. Overland items generally take much longer. There is no postal delivery service to home addresses so post office boxes can be applied for directly to the local post office. Some people choose to have mail sent to their work locations, but this must be approved by the employer.

There are over 20 publications available in Oman both daily and weekly papers. There are also some English language papers available for the ever growing expat community. Several of these papers are available online.


Read more about this country



Expat Health Insurance Partners


Cigna

Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.


Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy