Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Portugal - Visas

Anyone travelling to Portugal should have passports which are valid for 6 months or more and have spare pages to allow for stamps if necessary. If available, individuals should also bring their Identity cards. If the individual is not from the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland then it may be that they are asked for evidence of medical insurance, sufficient funds to return home, evidence of their stay in Portugal and proof of their return ticket. Non EU members must get a visa to travel to Portugal, once this is in place the individual can apply for their temporary residence permit if they plan on residing there.

It is worth noting that if you are travelling to Portugal from an infected area then you may need vaccinations, e.g Yellow Fever vaccination. Check with your local Portuguese Embassy.

Portugal is a member of the 1995 Schengen Agreement therein Citizens from the EU, Iceland ,Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not require a visa for a stay of 90 daysl. Outside of the EU, nationals of Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Hungary, Israel, Korea (Rep. of), Lithuania, Mexico, Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, and Croatia do not require a visa for a stay of 90 days either.

EU/EAA nationals and nationals from Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland may remain in the country for 90 days to set up a business or find a job. If the individual desires to stay longer they must change their status by applying for a Certificado de Registo in the Câmara Municipal of the residence area within the next 30 days after the 90 days period is up.

Short stay visas

Schengen visa (90 days) This visa allows for nationals who wish to travel to Portugal for political, religious, sporting, cultural, professional, touristic or family reasons for the short stay length. Non EU nationals who require this visa are listed here. The individual must apply for the visa at least one month before travel from their local Portuguese embassy within their home country or from another embassy of a Schengen country. A variety of documents are required to apply for a Schengen visa so check with the Portuguese embassy about exactly what you require. Notarised written consent for a minor is necessary as signed for by a guardian or parent. The cost is 60.00 EUR.

Airport Transit Visa A (90 days)
For non EU/EAA nationals travelling through the Schengen area A category Airport Transit Visa is necessary to be used as the individual transitions from one flight to the next in the airport and they wait in the transit area. The individual will carry return or onward documentation too. Nationals from the countries listed herewill require this visa.

The Entry and Short stay visa C (90 days)
This visa is for non EU/EAA nationals travelling through a Schengen area temporarily to travel onto another Schengen area via the airport and are leaving the international transit area. Multiple transits are allowed in the period of time. The cost is 60.00 EUR.

Business visa (90 days)
Visas can be applied for by EU and non EU nationals who require to travel to Portugal for business purposes for no more than 90 days. A letter from your accountant, bank manager, solicitor or your local chamber of commerce may be necessary if you are self-employed. If you are employed, a letter from your employer may be requested and references should be included.

Temporary stay visa (90 days)
This visa permits non EU nationals to work temporarily in the country on short term contracts.

Temporary residence visa
A short-term residence permit is valid from 90 days to one year. They are renewable for periods of two years and the renewal must be sent at the latest 30 days before it expires. The three forms of temporary visa are those who are type 1 which is independent professionals, an independent business person, for independent living, retirement or pursuing investments. Other considerations are for those who are foreign relatives of a Portuguese relative who wishes to move there (type 2) or resettlement visas for those who are relatives of non Portuguese citizen who reside there.

Long stay visas (90+ days)
Apart from the individuals mentioned in the Schengen visa part 1 all foreign nationals who want to stay or permanently reside in Portugal must get a long stay visa. Reasons for long stay visas range from religious training, medical recovery, investment, work, investment, research, skilled work or teaching, study, professional training or medical treatment.

Work visas

EU nationals may work in Portugal without a work visa if they find a job within the first 6 months of their stay in Portugal or they are transferred by their current company to work there. The holder of this visa can stay in the country for 3 years with their professional activities. The individual needs a residence card (Cartão de Residência) for their employment to be formally recognised. The card can be applied for via the Portuguese Immigration Office (Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiros). If the work is less than 3 months, a visa/permit isn’t required.

Non EU nationals can get a work permit if offered a formal job with contract by a genuine employer or they are married to a local. It is hard for non EU nationals to get work permits as they are overlooked as jobs are first assigned to local and EU workers.

Blue Card (Cartão Azul)
Permit for highly skilled EU employees with 5 years’ professional experience or a 3 year graduate diploma who has a genuine job offer and contract from a Portuguese company and will be paid 1.5 the gross average annual salary.

Residence visas

Residence Visa (Highly Qualified)
A visa for highly skilled employee with local contracts who will be in Portugal for no less than one year.

Residence visa
EU nationals only may apply for residence permits within Portugal and non EU residents must apply from their home country. If the individual is classed as the following: working in Portugal, a student, those living off savings, retired people, family member or self-employed individual then they may apply.

Student visas

EU students don’t need a student visa for degree courses which last in excess of 90 days. However, it may be necessary for EU nationals to have and show proof of having the necessary funds to support themselves financially throughout their stay. Non EU students need to get a study visa and show they have proof of enrolment in a Portuguese institution. Further information specific to students can be found here.

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy