Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Singapore - Driving Licenses

If you hold a driver’s license in your home country, you can convert that foreign license to one in Singapore, as long as it is the equivalent class of motor vehicle. This involves passing a Basic Theory Test which will bring you up to speed on Singapore's highway codes and regulations. The test can be taken at:

Singapore Driving Test Centre 3, Ang Mio Kio, St 62
Bukit Batok Driving Centre 815, Bukit Batok West Ave 5
Comfort Driving Centre 215, Ubi Ave 4

When you pass the test, you’ll need to go to the Traffic Police Department with the following:

· Your certificate for the Singapore Basic Driving Theory test
· Your passport
· Your foreign driver’s license
· A certification from the licensing authority of the date of the test
· An official translation if your home license is not in English
· Your entry permit
· The processing fee payable with Cashcard or NETS
· A passport photograph

You have one year to convert your foreign license. If you don’t do it within that time, you’ll have to take the Singapore driving test. Singaporeans and Permanent Residents may only drive in Singapore with a valid Singapore license. They can convert a foreign driving license if they can show proof that they have reason to be staying in a foreign country for a year or more due to study or work, and have a total stay of 6 months within the one year period. Any new permanent residents who already have a 5-year Singapore driving license will have to replace it with a lifetime driving license that reflects their new NRIC number.

There are several types of driving licenses, but most people have a Class 2 (motorcycles) or Class 3 (motor vehicles). A Provisional Driving License (PDL) is issued to those who are learning to drive in driving schools. These are applied for after passing the theory test. A Qualified Driving License (QDL) is a full license that is earned upon passing the Practical Driving Test. A Vocational Driving License is a special kind of license for those who drive commercial vehicles such as taxis and buses.

A foreigner over 18 years of age who has a Work Pass/Dependent Pass/Student Pass may drive in Singapore with a valid class 3, 3A or 2B foreign license, for a period of not more than 12 months. After that, a valid Singapore driving license is needed. Individuals on a short term social visit may drive with their foreign license for up to 12 months each time they enter Singapore. If your license isn’t written in English, an International Driving Permit or an official translation in English is necessary. Work permit holders may not drive in the course of work on public roads unless the occupation stated in the Work Permit shows they are employed as a driver.

For more information on Work Pass restrictions, please see the following PDF file:

There is no renewal of a driving license for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents thanks to the photo card license. The license is valid to age 65. After that, a medical check-up every 3 years is required to renew a motorcar and/or motorcycle license (Class 3/3A/2B/2A/2).

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy