Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Singapore - Qualifications and Training

The Ministry of Manpower, or MOM, lists the skills that are fairly regularly in demand and compiles aggregated data drawn from the relevant sources of industrialism and industry to demonstrate the skills that Singapore is most in need of in any given year. The list is comprehensive and goes into great detail on the types of skills Singapore is looking for. It can serve as a map for workers looking to relocate to the country as an epicenter of international business and commerce. Those who can work in construction are in increasing demand in this budding economy and in 2012 over 8,000 jobs became available in q1.

Healthcare is another in-demand sector of the Singapore job market with there being over 300 positions for registered nurses in 2011 alone. A surplus of jobs in healthcare is developing as Singapore continues to grow and become the destination health provider for surrounding Asiatic countries.

Finance jobs were highly available in 2011 with around 900 opening up. Close to half of these were for professional positions. Singapore is one of the world’s leading financial and banking systems and many people are relocated to Singapore for this very reason.

Information communications is another source of job growth as Singapore has become ripe with promise in a digital age that is constantly in contact with itself in the global market place.

Lastly, tourism and retail earned around 22 billion in 2011, accounting for a significant percentage, 18%, of the country’s GDP. As the MOM statistics confirm, this is a source of great job opportunity and in-demand skills.

Qualifications and training for the various occupations vary, as each one has its own requirements. In manufacturing electronics and precision engineering, for instance, it is generally required that individuals hold a degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science. As a structural engineer, it might be necessary to hold a PhD or MA in a related field. To operate a crane or drill, however, you might only need a Certificate of Successful Completion and 5 years of relevant work experience. Most occupations require an advanced degree. However, some only require a certification and relevant work experience. To learn more about certifications and qualifications in regards to specific occupations, you can visit MOM’s website:

Strategic Skills in Demand:

Qualifications from a foreign country often have to be verified by an independent agency. You can choose to get this done yourself, at your expense. However, an employer interested in hiring may well organize or help you organize attaining this verification. Recruitment agencies might also be helpful in determining whether or not your qualifications will transfer and assisting you in finding the proper way to do so if they must.

If a degree is needed for a particular occupation, then the hiring company will want to ensure that the degree you have is comparable to the kinds that you can earn in Singapore. In most cases, a degree that has been earned from a university in the United Kingdom or the United States will transfer without any trouble. Because the grading system is different, the employer might still want to verify the university’s standards and have an outside agency configure the degree equivalency.

In some cases, re-training might be necessary in some fields such as legal, medical, and educational. The requirements and training facilities are dependent upon the nature and type of qualifications that you are attempting to verify and transfer.

It is also possible that potential employees need to seek certain certifications for their positions. Before anyone undertakes high risk activities in the workplace, they may be required to obtain a license or certificate of competency, or register with the Ministry of Manpower. For more information on registration and certification in the workplace, visit

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy