Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Singapore - Registration and Residency

It is not necessary to register when you enter Singapore. When you enter the country at immigration, you will be issued a temporary visitor’s pass. When you’re in the country, if you have any issues you should contact your consulate.

U. S. Embassy, Singapore
27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508
Phone: (65) 6476-9100
Fax: (65) 6476-9340

British High Commission in Singapore
100 Tanglin Road Singapore 247919
6424 4200

The Government of Singapore encourages professionals and other foreigners who make positive contributions to the country’s development. Although it’s still possible to stay in Singapore and work under your employment pass, many people choose to seek permanent residency. Permanent residents enjoy most of the benefits and rights that citizens do, such as having funds deposited into their CSF accounts. They are also able to purchase property more easily and are not restricted by the type of property that they can purchase. There are also obligations that PRs must meet, however. To read more about the rights and obligations afforded to permanent residents, see (PDF file).

There are different ways of obtaining permanent residency. The various schemes are outlined below:

Singapore PR Scheme for Individuals Working in Singapore

The PTS scheme is designed for those who are already working in Singapore. It is also one of the easiest routes to becoming a Singapore PR and more than 95% of foreigners obtain their Singapore Permanent Residence through this scheme. You have to be currently employed in Singapore when you apply under this scheme. You must also show at least six months’ worth of pay stubs.

Singapore PR Scheme for Foreign Artistic Talent

Those who are talented in the arts, such as literature, music, photography, and dance, can apply for Singapore permanent residency through the Foreign Artistics Talent scheme. However, you must be a well-known, or respected, artist in your own country. Being recognized on an international level is even more helpful.

Singapore Landed Permanent Residence (LPR) Scheme

If you have a highly qualified professional or education background then the LPR Scheme might be open to you. Generally speaking, you must be in the top 1% of your competitive landscape on an international level in order to qualify for this scheme. If your permanent residency is approved, you must relocate to Singapore within one year. You must also find employment to secure your Singapore PR status.

Singapore PR Scheme for Capital Investors

If you have at least $2.5 million to invest in a new business, then you can use the Investor Scheme (also known as the Million Dollar Scheme). Permanent Residency under this scheme is available for those who want to start a business in Singapore. Immediate family can also become PRs. You must invest at least S$2.5 million in a new business startup or expansion of an existing business operation or invest at least S$2.5 million in a GIP-approved fund to qualify for this scheme. In addition, you have to have an entrepreneurial background, business proposal, and a good business track record.

Your spouse, aged parents, and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for permanent residency. If your parents are applying, a Singapore citizen must sponsor them unless they can apply for permanent residency on their own merits. Although a PR can’t apply for their parents for permanent residency, they can apply for a Long Term Visit Pass for their parents.

To apply for permanent residency, you must fill out an application form and submit it, along with the proper documentation to:

The Permanent Resident Services Centre
5th Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road (Next to Lavender MRT station)
Singapore 208718
Tel: 6391 6100
Fax: 6298 0843 or 6298 0837

Documentation for applying for Permanent Residency includes:

· Passport-style photograph
· Identity cards of both applicant and sponsor (if applicable)
· Work/Employment Pass
· Educational certificates
· Birth Certificate of applicant
· Payslips
· Income Tax Notices of Assessment
· Spouse's identity card, and birth and education certificates (if applicable)
· Official birth certificates of children showing both parent's names and child's name and adoption paper, if any

If you are an Overseas Permanent Resident and are applying for a renewal of your Re-entry Permit then you must submit your application at least two months before the expiry of your current Re-entry Permit. A PR will lose their status if they stay outside Singapore without a valid Re-entry Permit.

If permanent residency is granted, it may be extended to spouses and children. If a spouse becomes a PR then they will not need an Employment Pass in order to work. Female children won’t be affected their status change, but male children will be eligible for the National Service (NS). As long as the children are in school in Singapore, they can apply for a Student Pass if they do not want to become PRs. If they are not in school then they would enter Singapore on a standard social visit pass.

For more information on permanent residency, visit

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy