Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Singapore - Water

Singapore’s tap water is within the World Health Organization’s guidelines and is safe to drink without further purification treatments. The price of water reflects the scarcity value of the water and the fees are based on the amount of water that is consumed. In Singapore, water conservation is encouraged. Although Singapore is an island, finding fresh water is often difficult and this makes conserving it critical.

The government established a program to help low-income families with water fees called U-SAVE rebates. These U-SAVE rebates offset their utility bills, including water expenses. An average water bill is around $35 per month in most cases, without the rebates. The Mandatory Water Efficiency Labeling System (WELS) gauges the water efficiency level of a product. Using a checkmark system, products with the most checkmarks are the most water efficient.

Starting water service in your new home isn’t difficult. The Public Utilities Board is the governing body for water in Singapore and you can visit them in person or access their website for more information.

Before you apply for water service in your home, you should ensure that it has a PUB water supply connection and water service pipes in your premises. If your home does not have these then you will need to call a licensed water service worker for installation.

To open a water utility account you can visit the Customer Services Centre of SP Service Ltd (PUB's agent) located at the Upper First Floor, 111 Somerset Road Singapore 238164 (Tel : 1800-2222 333). You can also apply online at

For more information on PUB, visit:

You will normally pay a deposit when you open your account. You might have to pay more if you are not a PR or Singapore citizen. This could be as much as 3 times the amount of your expected water bill. The deposit can be used during your last month of service or refunded to you when you leave.

Many people have their water bill payment deducted automatically from their bank through GIRO Interbank. You can do this by getting a GIRO form from an SP Services customer service counter. You will find the deduction automatically reflected in your monthly billing statement. You can also pay by cash or credit card at the post office. In addition, you can also pay by check by using the pre-paid envelope that comes in your monthly bill.

Customer service centers for gas, water, and electric include:

Customer Service Centre (HQ - Central)
111 Somerset Road #01-10
Singapore 238164
Mon to Fri: 8 am to 6 pm
Sat: 8 am to 1 pm
Sunday closed

Customer Service Centre (Woodlands - North)
900 South Woodlands Drive #02-06 Woodlands Civic Centre
Singapore 730900
Mon to Fri: 8.30 am to 5 pm
Sat: 8.30 am to 1 pm
Sunday closed

Customer Service Centre (HDB Hub – Central/North)
480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #02-08 HDB Hub
Singapore 310480
Mon to Fri: 8.30 am to 5 pm
Sat: 8.30 am to 1 pm
Sunday closed

Electricity Efficiency Centre (Central)
111 Somerset Road #01-08
Singapore 238164
Mon to Fri: 8 am to 5.30 pm
Sat & Sun closed

All water service plumbing work is conducted by a water service plumber who is licensed by PUB. Sometimes, an engineer accredited by the Professional Engineers Board must also be called in if the tank needs structural work. The engineers and licensed water service plumbers must comply with the requirements in the Singapore Standard CP48 - Code of Practice for Water Services, the Public Utilities (Water Supply) Regulations and the Public Utilities Act.

It is an offense for anyone to engage a plumber who is not licensed by PUB. In addition, it is an offence for anyone to conduct water service plumbing work or advertise himself as a licensed water service plumber without a valid PUB Water Service Plumber License. The penalty can be a fine up to S$10,000 or imprisonment.

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy