Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Slovakia - Visas, Residency, Immigration and Documentation

Citizens of the following countries do not need a Slovak entry visa:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, the Vatican, Venezuela.

Citizens of the above listed countries must register with Slovak authorities within three days of arrival if their stay will be in excess of 30 days.

Citizens of all other countries must apply for a Slovak visa at a consular office abroad in person or by mail. Allow at least 5 business days for processing by mail.

Documentation required:

- Passport (original) valid for at least 8 months beyond length of stay
- Completed application form (original only). The forms are available at Slovak diplomatic and consular missions and at certain travel agencies
- Two passport-style photos
- Visa processing fee (check with consular office for exact amount)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope if applying by mail. For courier service send prepaid courier envelope.

Note: Visas are NOT issued at border checkpoints. Slovakia is NOT a signatory to the Schengen Agreement.

Citizens of nations requiring visas must register with the Slovak authorities within three days of arrival. If staying at a hotel, the hotel staff will register the guest on the guest's behalf.

Note: Any foreign national entering Slovakia may be asked for proof of funds sufficient to cover his/her length of stay and sufficient to purchase an onward ticket. Border officials may also require proof of health insurance.

Passport validity required for entry into the Slovak Republic:

- USA, United Kingdom, Greece, Israel, and Italy: six months beyond length of stay
- Spain, Austria, Germany: three months beyond length of stay
- France, Turkey: two months beyond length of stay
- Croatia: one month beyond length of stay
- Canada: one day beyond length of stay
- All others: eight months beyond length of stay

Residence Permits

EU citizens may apply for a temporary residence permit at a Slovak consular office abroad or may apply with the Foreign Police while in Slovakia. EU permits are issued for a period of five years.

All other foreigners who intend to work, study, teach, or do business in Slovakia must apply for a temporary residence permit (TRP) at a Slovak Embassy or Consulate General abroad. The TRP allows you to stay in Slovakia for a period of more than 90 days for business and/or educational purposes. The TRP is issued for one year and may be renewed. Non-EU foreign nationals are subject to lengthy interviews by Slovak officials prior to approval.

Documentation required:

- Passport
- 2 passport-style photographs
- Typed application form in Slovak language
- Document certifying reason for request (for business, employment, schooling etc.)
- Criminal background check (Slovak and home country)
- Medical certificate stating applicant is free of contagious disease
- Proof of funds (varies, check with Slovak Consulate for specifics)
- Proof of medical insurance
- Proof of housing (signed lease agreement or ownership deed etc.)

A permanent residence permit entitles a foreigner to stay in Slovakia for an unlimited period of time and can be granted to a foreigner whose spouse or minor child is a Slovak citizen with permanent residency in Slovakia or who has maintained a temporary residence in Slovakia for more than 10 years. The applicant must first apply for a TRP.

It is always advisable to contact a Slovak Consular office abroad prior to going to Slovakia. The website of the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in London can be found at

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy