Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners
Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Washington DC - Utilities (Electricity, Gas, Water, Household Waste)

The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission oversee the provision of utilities for residents in the US.

Since year 2000, consumers are free to choose from other companies that supply electricity in the city. Pepco (Tel: (202) 833-7500) provides default electricity supply services at government regulated rates. The DC Municipal Aggregation Program (MAP) allows DC residents to group together in order to obtain rates that are more competitive from other electricity suppliers. DC residents can participate in the MAP by choosing to opt-in. The Opt-in Form is available for download at For more information, contact the DC MAP DDOE Energy Office located at 14th Street NW Suite 300 East, Washington DC 20009.

Natural gas supply services for heating, etc, are provided by Washington Gas Tel: (202) 624-6049. The customer care department is located at 6801 Industrial Road, Springfield, VA 22151. The website has an online customer care service center. The emergency leak line for gas is 1-800-752-7520 or (703) 750-1400.

The DC Water and Sewer Authority provides water and wastewater services to all DC residents. The Authority has received numerous awards over the years in recognition for its excellent handing of finances and operations. For general enquiries, call (202) 787-2020) Mondays though Fridays, 8am to 5pm. To report a water or sewer emergency, call (202) 612-3400. For expatriates who need to sign up for a new water service, fax a copy of details to (202) 354-3711 or mail to DC Water and Sewer Authority 810 1st Street NE Suite 1100 Washington DC 20002.

For disposal of bulky items, call the DC Department of Public Works at Tel: (202) 673-6833 to fix up an appointment if you live in a single-family home or building with three or less apartments. If you live in a multi-unit apartment building, contact your management committee. Alternatively, call the Mayor Citywide Call Center at 311. Up to seven bulky items can be collected at one time.

Recyclables containers – a miniature blue Supercans (small-wheeled cart) can be found throughout the city. No separation is required. If the container is missing, stolen or in a bad shape, you can request for a new one by calling the Citywide Call Center at 311. In some household apartments that use recycling bins, recyclables like plastic are separated from glass and metals.

The Department of Public Works provides scheduled trash and recycling collection services. If you live in a single-family home or a small, multi-family building with 3 or less units, the District government will collect trash and recyclables, usually on a once a week basis. Larger apartment buildings, condominiums and co-ops are responsible for hiring their own licensed haulers to collect trash and recyclables.

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy