Popular Rental Areas for Expats in Greece
Greece, known for its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture, is a desirable destination for expats seeking to live in Southern Europe. The country offers a variety of popular rental areas, each with its unique appeal. Here are examples of rental areas for expats in Greece and the reasons behind their popularity:
The capital city, Athens, is a top choice for many expats due to its diverse neighborhoods and rich history. Key factors contributing to its popularity include:
- Cultural Hub: Athens is home to iconic historical sites, museums, and a thriving arts and music scene.
- Employment Opportunities: As Greece’s economic and business center, Athens offers job opportunities in various industries.
- Education: The city hosts several international schools, making it suitable for expat families.
Santorini, one of the Cyclades islands, is a dream destination for expats seeking a serene and picturesque setting. Reasons for its popularity include:
- Scenic Beauty: The island’s unique volcanic landscape, white-washed buildings, and stunning sunsets attract expats from around the world.
- Tourism Opportunities: Santorini’s tourism industry provides job opportunities in hospitality and related sectors.
- Quality of Life: Expats enjoy a relaxed Mediterranean lifestyle with access to beautiful beaches and outdoor activities.
Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest city, is a vibrant and historic destination. Expats are drawn to this city for several reasons:
- Cultural Diversity: Thessaloniki’s multicultural history is reflected in its architecture, cuisine, and festivals.
- Education and Research: The city is home to universities and research institutions, attracting students and academics.
- Access to the Sea: Its location on the Aegean Sea provides opportunities for waterfront living and water-based activities.
Crete, the largest Greek island, offers expats a combination of natural beauty and cultural heritage. It is popular for the following reasons:
- Idyllic Beaches: Expats can enjoy some of Greece’s most beautiful beaches and a warm Mediterranean climate.
- Historical Significance: Crete is known for its Minoan ruins, ancient cities, and archaeological sites.
- Relaxed Lifestyle: The island offers a relaxed pace of life, making it suitable for retirees and nature enthusiasts.
Rhodes, another popular Greek island, boasts a mix of history, natural beauty, and modern amenities. It attracts expats for the following reasons:
- Medieval Charm: Rhodes Town features a well-preserved medieval old town, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Beaches and Recreation: The island offers a wide range of water sports, hiking trails, and outdoor activities.
- Cost of Living: Rhodes is known for its reasonable cost of living compared to some other European destinations.
Main Websites for Properties to Rent in Greece
Expats looking to rent properties in Greece have access to various online platforms and websites specializing in the Greek real estate market. These websites provide comprehensive listings with detailed information. Here are the main websites for finding properties to rent in Greece:
Xo.gr is a popular Greek property portal that offers a wide range of rental listings, including apartments, houses, and commercial spaces. It provides a user-friendly search interface and is available in both Greek and English.
Spitogatos.gr is a leading Greek real estate website that features rental properties across the country. It includes a variety of filters to help users refine their search according to their preferences.
Arkadia is an international real estate platform that also covers the Greek market. Expats can find a range of rental listings on this website, along with property-related articles and guides.
Grekodom is a real estate agency and website specializing in Greek properties. They offer rental listings, property management services, and assistance for expats interested in Greek real estate.
Ktimatagora is a Greek real estate portal that provides rental listings, property sales, and useful resources for property seekers. It covers various regions and property types.
Tospitimou is an online real estate platform with a significant presence in Greece. It offers rental listings, property news, and a range of property-related services.
Main Letting Agencies in Greece
Letting agencies in Greece play a crucial role in helping expats find rental properties that match their preferences and requirements. Here are some of the main letting agencies in Greece, along with their contact details:
Remu Properties is a real estate agency based in Athens, Greece. They specialize in property rentals and sales, offering a wide selection of properties in the greater Athens area.
Ionian Estates is a real estate agency focused on the Ionian Islands, including Corfu, Paxos, and Lefkada. They assist expats in finding rental properties in these beautiful destinations.
Salamina Real Estate specializes in the rental and sale of properties on Salamis Island, near Athens. They cater to expats seeking a tranquil island lifestyle.
Ktimatomesitiki is a Greek real estate agency with a presence in Athens and Thessaloniki. They offer rental properties, property management, and investment opportunities.
Greek Exclusive Properties is a luxury real estate agency operating in Greece. They assist expats in finding high-end rental properties in sought-after locations.
Other Ways to Find Property Rentals in Greece
In addition to online platforms and letting agencies, there are alternative methods for expats to find property rentals in Greece:
Local Real Estate Offices: Visiting local real estate offices in the area of interest allows expats to explore available rental options.
Word of Mouth: Networking within the expat community or with locals may lead to rental opportunities through referrals.
Local Classifieds: Some expats and landlords advertise available rental properties in local newspapers, bulletin boards, or online classifieds.
Consulting expat Forums: Online forums and expat community websites often have sections dedicated to housing, where expats share rental listings and experiences.
Real Estate Events: Attending property exhibitions, real estate fairs, and open houses can provide firsthand access to available rental properties and opportunities to meet property owners or agents.
Expats seeking rental properties in Greece have a range of options to explore, from the bustling city life of Athens to the tranquil beauty of Greek islands like Santorini and Crete. Utilizing online platforms, letting agencies, and alternative methods can help expats find the ideal rental property that suits their preferences and needs in this beautiful Mediterranean country.