Hungarian citizenship can be acquired through birth, marriage, or naturalization. The following groups of people can apply for Hungarian citizenship:
- Those born in Hungary or to Hungarian parents
- Those who have been married to a Hungarian citizen for at least three years and have lived in Hungary for at least two years
- Those who have been legally residing in Hungary for eight years and have a valid residence permit at the time of their application for citizenship
- Those who are of Hungarian origin and can prove their knowledge of the Hungarian language and familiarity with Hungarian culture
Process of Applying for Citizenship in Hungar
The application process for Hungarian citizenship can be completed in person or through the mail. The steps to apply for citizenship include:
- Gathering the required documents:
- Proof of identity (passport, ID card, birth certificate, etc.)
- Proof of legal residence in Hungary (residence permit, registration certificate, etc.)
- Proof of Hungarian ancestry (if applicable)
- Proof of knowledge of Hungarian language and culture (if applicable)
- Completing the application form:
The application form for Hungarian citizenship can be downloaded from the website of the Hungarian Office of Immigration and Nationality.
- Submitting the application:
The application can be submitted in person at the Hungarian Office of Immigration and Nationality or through the mail.
- Paying the application fee:
The application fee must be paid at the time of submission. The fee may vary depending on the applicant’s age, place of submission, and other factors.
- Waiting for the decision:
The processing time for Hungarian citizenship applications can vary depending on the complexity of the case. The applicant will be notified of the decision in writing.
Advantages of Being Granted Citizenship in Hungary
Hungarian citizenship provides several advantages, including:
- The right to vote and run for office in Hungary
- Access to the Hungarian healthcare system and education system
- The ability to travel and work freely within the European Union
- Protection from deportation or extradition from Hungary
- Eligibility for certain government benefits and programs
Rules Surrounding Dual Citizenship in Hungary
Hungary allows dual citizenship, meaning that individuals can hold both Hungarian citizenship and the citizenship of another country. Therefore, applicants for Hungarian citizenship are not required to renounce their existing citizenship.
Reliable Information on Citizenship in Hungary
For reliable and up-to-date information on citizenship in Hungary, the following sources can be consulted:
- The website of the Hungarian Office of Immigration and Nationality: https://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?lang=en
- The website of the Embassy of Hungary in your country
- Legal experts specializing in Hungarian immigration law