Popular Estate Agencies
- Century 21 Jamaica Realty: offers residential and commercial property sales, rental services, and property management.
- Coldwell Banker Jamaica Realty: provides a range of real estate services including sales, leasing, and property management.
- Re/Max Jamaica: offers residential and commercial property sales and rental services.
- Jamaica Propertiers: specializes in luxury and high-end property sales and rentals.
- Jamaica Realty: a full-service real estate company that offers property sales, leasing, and management services.
Qualifications and Licences in Jamaica
Estate agents in Jamaica must have a license to practice. To obtain a license, agents must complete an approved real estate course and pass a qualifying exam administered by the Jamaica Real Estate Board.
Breakdown of Estate Agent Fees in Jamaica
Estate agents in Jamaica typically charge a commission fee for their services, which is a percentage of the sale price of the property. The average commission fee is between 2-5% of the sale price. For example, if a property is sold for JMD 10,000,000 (Jamaican Dollars), the commission fee would be between JMD 200,000 and JMD 500,000.
Other Ways to Find Property for Sale in Jamaica
- Property websites: Jamaicanclassifieds.com, Jadaboads.com, Zillow Jamaica
- Expat websites: Internations.org, Expat.com
- Magazines: Homes and Antiques Jamaica, Caribbean Homes & Lifestyle
The Use of a Buyer’s Agent
The Use of a Buyer’s Agent is not very common in Jamaica. However, if a buyer decides to use a buyer’s agent, the agent must have a valid license to practice real estate. The cost of a buyer’s agent varies, but it is typically a percentage of the sale price of the property, similar to the commission fee charged by estate agents.
Organizations for Foreign Property Buyers in Jamaica
- Jamaica Real Estate Board: promotes and regulates the real estate industry in Jamaica, offers information and resources for buyers, including a list of licensed real estate agents.
- Jamaica Tourist Board: provides information on buying property in Jamaica and investment opportunities.
- Invest Jamaica: promotes investment in Jamaica and offers resources for foreign investors, including information on buying property.