The United Kingdom is home to a variety of telecommunication providers that offer a range of services including landlines and mobile phones. This article will provide information on the international code and area codes for popular destinations within the country, major telephone providers and their contact details, the procedure for arranging telephone connection, and payment of telephone bills.
International Code and Area Codes
The international code for the United Kingdom is +44, which must be dialed before the local area code and telephone number when making international calls. The area codes for some popular expat destinations in the country are:
- London: 020
- Manchester: 0161
- Birmingham: 0121
- Edinburgh: 0131
- Glasgow: 0141
- Belfast: 028
Major Telephone Providers and Contact Details
There are several major telephone providers in the United Kingdom, both for landlines and mobile phones. The following are some of the most popular:
- BT: BT is the largest landline provider in the United Kingdom. They offer a range of packages to suit different needs, including broadband and television services. Contact details: website: www.bt.com; customer service number: 0800 800 150.
- TalkTalk: TalkTalk is another popular landline provider, offering various packages that include broadband and television services. Contact details: website: www.talktalk.co.uk; customer service number: 0345 172 0088.
- Virgin Media: Virgin Media provides landline services as part of their package deals, which also include broadband and television services. Contact details: website: www.virginmedia.com; customer service number: 0800 052 0422.
- EE: EE is the largest mobile network operator in the United Kingdom. They offer a range of mobile phone packages, including pay-as-you-go and contract deals. Contact details: website: www.ee.co.uk; customer service number: 0800 956 6000.
- Vodafone: Vodafone is another popular mobile network operator in the United Kingdom, offering pay-as-you-go and contract deals. Contact details: website: www.vodafone.co.uk; customer service number: 0333 304 0191.
- O2: O2 is a popular mobile network operator that offers a range of packages, including pay-as-you-go and contract deals. Contact details: website: www.o2.co.uk; customer service number: 0800 032 1402.
Procedure for Arranging Telephone Connection
To arrange a landline connection in the United Kingdom, it is necessary to contact a telephone provider and select a package that suits your needs. The provider will then arrange for an engineer to visit your property and install the necessary equipment.
For mobile phone connections, it is necessary to purchase a SIM card from a mobile network operator and select a package that suits your needs. SIM cards are widely available at shops and online.
Payment of Telephone Bills
Payment of telephone bills in the United Kingdom can be made through various methods, including direct debit, online banking, and at local shops and post offices. Bills are usually sent monthly, although some providers offer bi-monthly or quarterly billing options.
It is important to note that failure to pay bills on time can result in disconnection of services, so it is important to keep up with payments or arrange a payment plan with the provider if necessary.
The United Kingdom offers a range of telecommunication providers for both landlines and mobile phones. By following the information provided in this article, expats can easily arrange for telephone services and ensure that bills are paid in a timely manner.