Vietnam’s banking system has undergone significant reforms in recent years to modernize and improve access to financial services. Expats in Vietnam have a range of banking options to choose from, including local banks and some international banks.
Main Local Banks in Vietnam
Some of the main local banks in Vietnam include:
Major UK and USA Banks in Vietnam
Some of the major UK and USA banks that have a presence in Vietnam include:
Accounts and Services for Expats
Some banks in Vietnam offer accounts and services specifically aimed at expats. For example, HSBC offers an international account that allows expats to hold and manage multiple currencies, useful for regular international transfers.
Typical Bank Opening Hours
Most banks in Vietnam are open from 8:00am to 4:30pm from Monday to Friday, with some banks open on Saturday mornings.
Specific Areas of Concern for Expats
Expats should be aware that the banking system in Vietnam may not be as advanced as in some Western countries, with potential limitations in online banking services. It is also important to be vigilant against fraud and scams.
Opening a Bank Account
To open a bank account in Vietnam as an expat, follow these steps:
- Choose a bank and check their account opening requirements.
- Prepare necessary documents, including passport, visa, work permit, and proof of address.
- Visit the bank and complete the account opening application form.
- Submit the application form and required documents.
- Wait for the bank to process your application and open your account.
It is important to note that some banks in Vietnam may require additional documents or information, depending on their individual policies and procedures.