JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Living in Thailand

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 

Re: Living in Thailand

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:47 am

Hello Elaine from another Elaine,

I agree with most of what the first poster said.

I'm in my 30s, single, and currently living in Bangkok. It is hard to meet people here. There are very very few single western women here.

I disagree with what the first poster said about women English teachers. There are loads of female English teachers here. In fact the friends you make will probably be other teachers, so hopefully you work with a good crowd. If not, you can change schools pretty easily. I've had people walk up to me on the street and ask me if I was a teacher. If you're a genuine credentialed teacher, you can live very well here.

As far as being single here, I didn't come here expecting to date people. But holy crap, does every nightclub, or bar have to cater to the farangs looking for a local girl? I guess things are this way because there are so few western women here, and most of the men are chasing the local ladies.

On the other hand, it is kind of nice to be left alone by men. If you do make a couple friends here you can go out on the town without being hit up by the shiny shirted no-neck monsters that think a woman alone is a woman that wants company.

If you've never been here, I would suggest planning to be here a couple months your first visit. Maybe keep your apartment at home, because there's a chance you're going to hate it.

elaineous

Re: Living in Thailand

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:14 pm

- elaineous

I'm in my 30s, single, and currently living in Bangkok. It is hard to meet people here. There are very very few single western women here. ...

...Thank you for that Western female's experience of living in Bangkok.
However, for a Western man, meeting people here is easy and effortless, because the local people are eager to meet us.
I have lost count of the number of invitations I've had to family picnics and parties, to travel to other parts of the country, a day at the beach, even just to meet for lunch -- from local people.

- elaineous

As far as being single here, I didn't come here expecting to date people. But holy crap, does every nightclub, or bar have to cater to the farangs looking for a local girl? I guess things are this way because there are so few western women here, and most of the men are chasing the local ladies.

...The reason that expat living in Thailand is so attractive for Western men is that the local women are chasing them.
And not only in bars or nightclubs -- as one would expect -- but also in ordinary, daily, life.
In restaurants and shops, on the ferry boats, at the mall, local ladies are looking, smiling, and often starting conversations.
Here are a couple examples of how easy it is to meet "people" in Bangkok:

In the lobby of my building, there is a small coffee shop, like a Starbucks.
From the lift to the front door, one walks past the open seating area of the coffee shop.
The waitresses are hired for their beauty and their slender figures.
Everyday, as I walk past, they smile and flirt and wave hello to me.
If they are not busy when I walk past, some are eager to chat with me -- about nothing in particular.
One asked me on a date, but I thought it not a good idea that close to "home" -- I live in the building -- so I made polite excuses.
Several of the other waitresses have made it a point to tell me what time they finish their work shift, or what is their day off.

Yesterday I went to the hospital for a minor test -- which I get done twice a year.
All three nurses in that clinic remembered me, and, while I was waiting, went out of their way to come over and smile and "wai" to me.
Two of them stopped for a couple of minutes to chat with me, smiling and making eye contact all the while.
All of were young: age 22-30 or so.
All were very pretty and very slender.
All were wearing tight white uniforms, short skirts just above the knee, white nurse caps, and -- get this -- white high heels.
I am not joking -- walk in to any private hospital in Bangkok and most of the clinic nurses are wearing white heels.
I'm not excited by nurses, but the point is this:
There were, three, very attractive, young, slender, smiling, women, going out of their way to talk with a Western man of their fathers' age ... and it was not at a nightclub or bar.

- elaineous

On the other hand, it is kind of nice to be left alone by men. If you do make a couple friends here you can go out on the town without being hit up by the shiny shirted no-neck monsters that think a woman alone is a woman that wants company.

...This is yet another reminder -- by way of contrast -- of the sweet, kind, gentle, and very polite, nature of the local ladies.
When a Western man pays attention to a local woman, she considers it a compliment to her feminine charms, not a "hit up".

...When the occasional Western female happens to wander in to Thailand, she is -- like the poster above -- mostly unwanted and invisible.
Of course, there might be the odd exception -- because some Thai men have a fantasy of sampling a Caucasian women -- but for the vast majority of Western females, being "left alone by men" is what they can expect from expat living here.
Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way.

-- Peter

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 4 of 4
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy