JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hospitals in Bangkok

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Hospitals in Bangkok

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 pm

I need to find out about emergency hospital treatment in Bangkok. Where is the main accident and emergency department in the city. I have heard good reports about Bangkok General Hospital but from their website it looks like it is private and treats on wealthy westerners. Is this true and if so is there a cheaper option I should be aware of if I require treatment?

Best

Jamie Balment

Jamie Balment\r\nAssistant Producer \r\nDocumentaries\r\nIWC Media \r\n3-6 Kenrick Place \r\nLondon W1U 6HD\r\n0207 317 2230\r\n07770853982

Jamiebalment

Re: Hospitals in Bangkok

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Jamie..Bangkok General Hospital is not so bad for the price. There are other option for reasonable price, however it may not be in the expatriate area. I normally go to "Vichaiyut Hospital", in Rama VI Road. Private hospital with reasonable price. For emergency in Sathorn area, you can go to BNH Hospital. English speaking as there are many embassy lie around the area. If you choose the local hospital, you may find it's difficult to communicate in English with hospital staffs, besides the queue is really long. Bumrungrad Hospital and Samitivej hospital suppose to be popular for the expatriates and tourists as they situate in Sukhumvit area.
Hope you don't need to try them!
Take care.
Khunsee

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:42 pm

Khunsee,

Thanks for this. Have you got a phone number I contact you on very quickly?

Best

Jamie

Jamie Balment\r\nAssistant Producer \r\nDocumentaries\r\nIWC Media \r\n3-6 Kenrick Place \r\nLondon W1U 6HD\r\n0207 317 2230\r\n07770853982

Jamiebalment

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:41 am

Very Happy Hi..I would rather give phone numbers for medical emergency:
1. Bangkok Hospital: (66) 02 3103102
2. BNH Hospital: (66) 02 6321000
3. Bumrungrad Hospital: (66) 02 6671175
4. Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital: (66) 02 7127007

For the hospital fee, comparing toyour country it is still cheap. And they can offer you modern medicare and good atmosphere too.

I think that would be what you are looking for. Don't worry too much about hospital in Bangkok. But for travelling, it is a must to make sure what city you are going. If it is big city such as Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Krabi, Chiangmai. You can easily find good hospital with english speaking doctors.
Take care:
Khunsee

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:24 pm

- Jamiebalment

I need to find out about emergency hospital treatment in Bangkok. Where is the main accident and emergency department in the city. I have heard good reports about Bangkok General Hospital but from their website it looks like it is private and treats on wealthy westerners.

Jamiebalment -

Good question for anyone spending long time in Thailand.
I am one of those "wealthy westerners [sic]".
I will comment for the benefit of other wealthy Westerners who may be reading this topic.

In the several years I've been living in Bangkok, I've been using BNH (Bangkok Nursing Home Hospital).
This is a private hospital, with rates far higher than average.
The services, equipment and treatment have been good, but not excellent.
Here's an example:

Last week I went in for a general checkup.
No problems, but every 2-3 years I go in for a head-to-toe exam.
BNH hospital offers several checkup programs at various prices.
I selected the most comprehensive program, at the most expensive rate: Total cost about 15,000 baht.
That included free lunch in the hospital's pleasant restaurant - a nice touch.

While the general quality of service was high, not all the doctors were, shall we say, very accommodating.
Most of the doctors I encountered were professional, thorough and helpful.
But a noticable number were brusque and indifferent, as if my presence in their hospital was an annoyance.
I've learned from both reading and experience that this is a common attitude among doctors in Asia.
For example, the eye doctor did not examine my eyes carefully.
He merely read my previous prescription from 5 years ago (which I had brought in), and wrote out that same prescription on his own form.
I was not happy about that.
With several other doctors, my few questions -- asked quietly and politely -- were brushed off as an intrusion, rather rather than a reasonable request for more information about the status of my health.
I've had similar response from some other doctors and dentists here in Thailand.
So, even paying the VIP price does not assure getting VIP treatment from every doctor.
If I'd engaged medical service "on the cheap", I what would the level of service would have been then?

On the other hand, the nurses and other staff were superb.
Once they noticed that I had purchased their most expensive check-up package, they turned on the smiles and became highly solicitous of my welfare.
But again, what if I were at a government hospital, with government attitudes?
What kind of service would a Westerner receive?

This recent experience at BNH Hospital reminded me, once again, the basic lesson about living in Thailand: it helps to have money.
I think it unwise to seek cheap medical services here.

- Peter

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:12 pm

I used the Christian Hospital in Bangkok ( not religious) and found it very inexpensive , modern and very good indeed.

HappyD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom road is good and much cheaper than some of the other "foreign" hospitals. It , unitl recently, did not have the coffee corners and other amenities but provides a very good standard. BNH has always been considered a local sort of clinic, providing OK care for non-life threatening things. Then a short while ago it was bought by the Bangkok Hospital group and it's prices have soared, the rooms and public areas have been refurbushed but unfortunately the medical services and facilities are still those of a local clinic. Imagine a "Spine Clinic" that does not have an MRI machine. Check ups and such, Bangkok christian will gove the same service and results as BNH. Anyhting that you are really worried about go to Bumrungrad or Samithivej - or Bangkok General

Jaiyen

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy