Popular Estate Agents in Argentina
Some of the most popular real estate agencies in Argentina include:
- Remax – International franchise with offices throughout Argentina.
- ArgentinaLand – Specialized in agricultural, ranch and development properties.
- Eldorado Properties – Focus on luxury estates and villas.
- ZonaProp – Leading online real estate portal.
- Gomez Bros – Upscale brokerage located in Buenos Aires.
Qualifications and Licences in Argentina
In Argentina, estate agents must be registered with the Professional Council of Real Estate Brokers. To qualify, agents must:
- Be an Argentine citizen or permanent resident.
- Hold a high school degree.
- Complete a certified real estate education course.
- Pass a licensing exam.
- Maintain membership in the Professional Council.
Breakdown of Estate Agent Fees
For rental transactions, landlords typically pay real estate agents a fee equal to one month’s rent. For sales transactions, agents usually charge between 3-6% of the sale price, which is often split between the buyer’s and seller’s agents.
Other Places to Find Property Listings
Some other places to find property listings in Argentina include:
- Properati – Real estate listing portal.
- Classified sections of newspapers like La Nacion.
- Facebook groups like “Apartments for Rent in Buenos Aires” or “Buenos Aires Housing, Rooms, Apartments.”
- Print publications such as the Buenos Aires Herald real estate supplement.
- Fliers posted in areas frequented by expats, like cafés or cultural centers.
- Word of mouth referrals within expat communities.
Use of Buyer’s Agents
Using a buyer’s agent is not very common in Argentina’s real estate market. Most buyers deal directly with the listing agent or seller. However, some expat buyers may opt to engage a buyer’s agent to represent their interests and guide them through the process.
There are no specific licensing requirements to work as a buyer’s agent currently. Their fees typically range from 1-2% of the purchase price and are paid by the buyer.
Organizations for Foreign Property Buyers
Some organizations that provide assistance to foreign real estate buyers in Argentina include:
- Association of International Property Professionals Argentina – An industry trade group that connects buyers with English-speaking agents. Website: https://aipp.org.ar/
- American Chamber of Commerce in Argentina – Provides referrals to English-speaking lawyers and other professionals. Website: https://www.amchamar.com.ar/
- Embassies and consulates – Can provide lists of local professionals to assist foreign nationals.
Some other organizations that can help foreign buyers in Argentina include:
- Real Estate Professional Group Argentina (GPREA) – Industry association that promotes best practices. Website: http://www.gprea.com/
- Argentina Legal Network – Association of English-speaking lawyers. Website: https://argentinalegal.net/
- International Living Argentina – Provides recommendations and information for expats. Website: https://internationalliving.com/countries/argentina/
- ExpatsEverywhere – Online resource for expat living info. Website: https://expatseverywhere.com/argentina/start-here/
Doing proper research, seeking referrals, and engaging reputable professionals can help make the real estate buying process smoother for foreigners in Argentina. With its beautiful landscapes, vibrant culture and favorable currency exchange rates, Argentina remains an attractive destination for international property buyers.