If you’re planning to move to Kuwait with your furry companion, it’s important to understand the process of importing pets into the country. This article will answer some common questions about bringing pets into Kuwait.
Does Kuwait allow the import of pets?
Yes, Kuwait does allow the import of pets. However, there are some restrictions on which types of pets you can bring into the country.
Restrictions on importing pets
- Dogs: Dogs of all breeds are allowed to be imported into Kuwait, except for the following breeds: Pitbull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
- Cats: There are no restrictions on importing cats into Kuwait.
- Other pets: Importing birds and other pets require a special permit from the Kuwaiti authorities.
Are there any vaccination requirements for bringing pets to Kuwait?
Yes, all pets imported into Kuwait must have a valid health certificate and be vaccinated against rabies. The health certificate should be issued within 10 days prior to the pet’s arrival in Kuwait.
What is the application procedure to import a pet to Kuwait?
Before bringing your pet to Kuwait, you will need to obtain an import permit from the Public Authority for Agriculture Affairs and Fish Resources (PAAAFR). The application process for the permit is as follows:
- Obtain a health certificate for your pet from a licensed veterinarian in your home country.
- Submit the health certificate, along with a copy of your passport and a photo of your pet, to the PAAAFR.
- Pay the application fee.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive an import permit that is valid for 30 days.
Is a period of quarantine needed to import a pet to Kuwait?
No, pets do not need to be quarantined upon arrival in Kuwait if they meet all the necessary requirements.
Is Kuwait part of any international travel scheme for pets?
Yes, Kuwait is part of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) which allows pets to travel between certain countries without quarantine, provided they meet all the necessary requirements. However, Kuwait only accepts pets from other countries that are also part of the scheme.
Do individuals need to obtain a license for their pet in Kuwait?
Yes, pet owners in Kuwait are required to obtain a license for their pet. The license can be obtained from the Kuwait Municipal Council and requires proof of vaccination against rabies.
Is there a relevant government website which provides useful information on moving pets to Kuwait?
Yes, the website of the Public Authority for Agriculture Affairs and Fish Resources (PAAAFR) provides useful information on the process of importing pets into Kuwait. The website also includes contact information for the PAAAFR if you have further questions or concerns.