Vietnam is a Southeast Asian country with a population of approximately 98 million people. The country has made significant progress in its healthcare system over the past few decades, with an increasing number of hospitals, clinics, and medical facilities being established. In this article, we will explore the standard of healthcare in Vietnam, how healthcare is paid for, the services provided by hospitals, follow-up care after hospital treatment, and the rules regarding medical treatment of foreign visitors.
Standard of Healthcare in Vietnam
Vietnam has made significant progress in its healthcare system, with the government investing heavily in the sector. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the country’s healthcare system has been ranked 159 out of 190 countries. The country has a comprehensive network of public hospitals, private hospitals, and clinics that provide medical care to the population.
Vietnam has achieved impressive results in terms of reducing infant mortality and increasing life expectancy. The country’s life expectancy at birth is 75 years, and infant mortality has dropped to 15 deaths per 1,000 live births. However, the healthcare system still faces challenges in providing adequate care in some rural areas, where there is a shortage of medical staff and equipment.
Healthcare Payment System in Vietnam
The healthcare system in Vietnam is financed through a mix of public and private funding. The government funds a significant portion of healthcare costs through taxes, and the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) covers a portion of medical costs. The NHIF covers 80% of the cost of outpatient visits and hospitalization for certain conditions, while patients pay the remaining 20%.
Private health insurance is available in Vietnam, and it is recommended for those who wish to have access to higher-quality medical care. Private insurance covers additional medical expenses not covered by the NHIF and allows patients to choose their doctor and hospital.
Services Provided by Hospitals in Vietnam
Vietnam has a comprehensive network of public and private hospitals, as well as clinics and medical centers. Public hospitals are usually overcrowded, and waiting times can be long. Private hospitals, on the other hand, offer shorter waiting times, and patients can choose their doctor.
Hospitals in Vietnam provide a wide range of medical services, including surgery, emergency care, and intensive care. The quality of care in public hospitals can vary, with some hospitals lacking adequate equipment and medical supplies. However, private hospitals provide a higher quality of care and are well-equipped with modern medical facilities.
Follow-Up Care after Hospital Treatment in Vietnam
After hospital treatment, patients in Vietnam are usually given follow-up care instructions by their doctor. Follow-up care can include medication, rehabilitation, and medical check-ups. Patients are responsible for ensuring that they follow their doctor’s instructions to ensure proper recovery.
Medical Treatment of Foreign Visitors in Vietnam
Foreign visitors to Vietnam are required to have travel insurance to cover their medical expenses in the country. Private medical facilities in Vietnam provide excellent medical care, and many doctors and medical staff can speak English. However, medical expenses in private hospitals can be expensive, and travelers are recommended to have adequate travel insurance coverage.
In conclusion, Vietnam has made significant progress in its healthcare system over the past few decades, and the country has a comprehensive network of public and private medical facilities. The government funds a significant portion of healthcare costs, and the National Health Insurance Fund covers a portion of medical costs. Private health insurance is also available, and it is recommended for those who wish to have access to higher-quality medical care. After hospital treatment, patients are given follow-up care instructions by their doctor, and foreign visitors are required to have travel insurance to cover their medical expenses in the country.