Visa Regulations for Entering Vietnam
The visa regulations for entering Vietnam vary depending on the purpose and length of stay, and the country of origin of the visitor. It is important to be aware of the most important visa rules to successfully navigate the visa application process.
- Passport validity: Visitors to Vietnam must have a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date of entry.
- Visa application: Visitors can apply for a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate or online through an authorized visa agent.
- Supporting documents: Visitors may need to provide proof of their travel itinerary, financial means to support their stay, and invitation letters from Vietnamese hosts or organizations.
- Health requirements: Visitors may be required to provide proof of vaccinations and a negative COVID-19 test result, depending on their country of origin and the current situation in Vietnam.
Types of Visas in Vietnam
Visitors to Vietnam can apply for the following types of visa:
- Tourist visa (Visa code: DL): This visa is issued to visitors who are traveling to Vietnam for leisure, sightseeing, visiting friends and family, or other purposes. It is valid for up to 15 days, 30 days, or 3 months, depending on the type of visa and the country of origin of the visitor.
- Business visa (Visa code: DN): This visa is issued to visitors who are traveling to Vietnam for business purposes, such as attending conferences, conducting market research, or establishing business contacts. It is valid for up to 1 year and can be extended.
- Work visa (Visa code: LV): This visa is issued to visitors who are working in Vietnam on a long-term basis. It requires a work permit and is valid for up to 3 years.
- Student visa (Visa code: HS): This visa is issued to visitors who are studying in Vietnam on a full-time basis. It requires a student visa and is valid for the duration of the study program.
Visa Exemptions in Vietnam
Vietnam has visa exemptions agreements with some countries, allowing their citizens to enter and stay in Vietnam for a certain period of time without a visa. As of 2021, citizens of the following countries are eligible for visa-free entry into Vietnam for 15 days:
- ASEAN member countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Cambodia)
- Japan, South Korea, and Sweden
- Some European countries (Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Russia)
Note: The visa exemptions and eligible countries may change, so visitors are advised to check the latest information from the Vietnamese immigration authorities or the nearest Vietnamese embassy.
Relationship between Visas and Residency Status in Vietnam
Visitors who wish to stay in Vietnam for a longer period of time, or who wish to work or study in Vietnam, may need to apply for a corresponding visa and obtain a work permit or student visa. Visitors who hold a work visa or student visa can apply for a temporary residency card, which allows them to live and work or study in Vietnam for the duration of their visa.
Reliable Information on Visas for Entry into Vietnam
Visitors can obtain reliable information on visas for entry into Vietnam from the following sources:
- Vietnamese immigration authorities: Visitors can check the latest visa regulations and requirements from the official website of the Vietnamese immigration department: https://immigration.gov.vn/
- Vietnamese embassies and consulates: Visitors can contact the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate for specific information on visas, work permits, and residency status.
- Authorized visa agents: Visitors can apply for a visa online
Applying for a Visa
In order to enter Vietnam, foreign nationals are required to obtain a visa unless they are from one of the visa-exempt countries. There are several types of visas for Vietnam, including tourist visas, business visas, and student visas. To apply for a visa for entry into Vietnam, you can either apply through a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your home country, or through an online visa service.
Relevant forms and details of relevant authorities:
The official website of the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides information on visa requirements and application procedures: https://vietnamimmigration.gov.vn/
The online visa application form can be found on the website of the Vietnam Immigration Department: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/
Where to Apply for a Visa for Vietnam
You can apply for a visa to enter Vietnam at a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your home country, or through an online visa service. The Vietnamese embassy or consulate in the United States is located in Washington, D.C., while the consulate in the United Kingdom is located in London.
Relevant Consulates for US and UK Expats:
- Embassy of Vietnam in Washington, D.C.: 1233 20th St NW, Ste 400, Washington, D.C. 20036, United States
- Consulate General of Vietnam in London: 12-14 Victoria Road, London W8 5RD, United Kingdom
Relevant Documents for Vietnam
The required documents for a visa to enter Vietnam vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for. However, generally, you will need to provide:
- A completed visa application form
- A passport with at least six months validity
- A passport-sized photo
- Proof of financial support, such as bank statements or a letter of sponsorship
- Proof of travel plans, such as a flight itinerary or hotel booking confirmation
- Other supporting documents, as required by the specific visa type
- For more information on specific visa requirements, you can refer to the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website: https://vietnamimmigration.gov.vn/
- If the required documents are not in English or Vietnamese, you may need to provide official translations.
Visa Application Processing Time for Vietnam
The processing time for a visa to enter Vietnam can vary depending on the type of visa and the time of year. However, the processing time for an online visa can be as quick as three working days, while the processing time for a visa applied for through an embassy or consulate may take several weeks.
Visa Application Cost for Vietnam
The cost of a visa to enter Vietnam varies depending on the type of visa and the processing time. The fee for an online visa is typically around $25-50, while the fee for a visa applied for through an embassy or consulate may be higher.
Other Associated Costs:
- In addition to the visa fee, you may need to pay for other services such as expedited processing or courier delivery of your visa.
- You may also need to pay for travel insurance, transportation to and from the embassy or consulate, and any other costs associated with your trip to Vietnam.