Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hong Kong - Birth

As with most health care in Hong Kong, when you give birth you can choose between using a public or a private hospital. In most cases, you will choose your OB first and the OB’s hospital preferences will determine where you will give birth.

More information is available on the Hong Kong Family Health Service’s website. The Hong Kong Family Health Service is administered by the Maternal and Child Health Centers (MCHCs) and includes services such as laboratory tests, routine check-ups, and information on different health issues that can arise when having a baby.

Family Health Service
Tel: 2112 9900

If you are using public prenatal care, then as soon as you discover that you are pregnant, you will probably schedule an appointment at one of the Maternal and Child Health Centers. Care is similar to that of what you would find in Western countries. Blood work will be collected on your first visit. If you have a Hong Kong ID card then the prenatal care program is free at a Health Center.

If you prefer private prenatal care then you would need to search for a private prenatal specialist. The Hong Kong Medical Association has a directory, or you can ask for referrals from friends and other expats. A private doctor will provide you with your care and be there during your delivery. Still, the hospital that you deliver at will be up to the doctor and where he or she has hospital privileges. If you prefer a certain hospital, then you will need to find a private doctor who delivers there. For private prenatal care, you count on paying between HK$800 and HK$1,000 for every check-up appointment. Ultrasounds and other tests might cost more.

Hong Kong Medical Association

While there aren’t any public midwives in Hong Kong, you can find private midwives. Additional information is available from the Hong Kong Midwives Association.

Hong Kong Midwives Association
D1, 13/F., Hyde Centre,
223 Gloucester Road,
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2893 8800

If you choose private prenatal care and a private hospital then the cost of birth can be significantly more than if you used the public system. It is important to check with your insurance policy to see if birth services and prenatal services are covered. In most general policies, they are not. You might have to pay an additional premium. Others might offer it but have a cap on the amount they will pay. In order to get the most out of their policy, some expats choose private prenatal care yet give birth at public hospitals.

Some of the private hospitals have maternity wards that resemble hotels with private balconies and terraces, tea service, and free WiFi. Costs at these can range from HK$25,000 to HK$100,000 or more for your stay, however. Charges for the obstetrician and other specialists, including the pediatrician, are additional. Your doctor will be with you throughout your pregnancy, however, and book your hospital stay in advance. Some hospitals book up as much as 6 months or more in advance.

If you decide to give birth in a public hospital then you will do so at a public one in your district. The regular hospital fee of HK$100 per day and drops to HK$50 per day once the baby is born. You can also stay as a private patient, but rates are higher. It is also important to have a Hong Kong ID by the time you give birth or else you could end up paying the minimum fee of HK$39,000 just for prenatal care and delivery.

Within 42 days of birth, you must register your child with the Hong Kong authorities. The procedure requires one half-hour appointment at a birth registry. Your child must be registered in the district that he or she was born in. You and your spouse, if you are married, simply need to present your Hong Kong ID cards or valid travel documents and your marriage certificate. The hospital will also send a “birth return” to the registry. For more information on registering your child’s birth in Hong Kong, visit:

Registration of a Birth
General Enquiries
Tel: (852) 2824 6111
Fax: (852) 2877 7711

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy