±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Taking Your Pets

Antigua and Barbuda - Taking Your Pets

If you wish to relocate to Antigua and Barbuda and want to take the smallest member of the family with you, then you should be able to do so by following a few regulations which have been put in place.

You must apply to the veterinary and livestock division for a veterinary import licence then depending on the type of animal the regulations differ. Any type of pitbull dog (or breed that is mixed with this type of dog) will not be allowed to enter the country. If the dog resembles a pitbull it must have certification from an approved kennel club to say that the dog is not of that breed.

If the pet originates in a country that is prone to rabies or that does not maintain strict control of the animals being imported, such as North America and Trinidad and Tobago, then you will need to provide a valid certificate demonstrating up to date rabies vaccination, which must be within the 12 months prior to moving with the pet. The pet will also need to be micro chipped. There will be a rabies test which must be carried out at an approved laboratory.

If the pet originates in a country with strictly controlled animal import regulations and is also rabies free such as UK and Barbados, then an up to date vaccination and medical history is required.

The information then needs to be faxed to the veterinary and livestock division so that they can continue to process the import licence. Only pets with the valid import license will be allowed into Antigua and Barbuda. Anybody who arrives at a port of entry with a pet and no valid licence will be turned away.

The animal also needs to have a certificate of no more than 7 days old, showing they have been treated within 7 days of exportation for internal and external parasites. Only vaccinations with approved products are allowed and these products need to be noted on the official health certificate.

It is worth checking the current regulations on an animal importation into Antigua and Barbuda, as the requirements may change, but you local vet should help you with any paperwork required.

There are several pet stores in Antigua and Barbuda who can supply everything that is needed for your domesticated pet. There is also a vet on the islands plus a veterinary school, so you have peace of mind that there is someone who can help if your pet gets sick. If you pet should require a specific medication for an existing health condition then it is wise to check ahead to ensure it will be available.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.