±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.


Greece - Taxation

You will almost certainly need to apply for a Tax roll number - A.F.M. (pronounced Aa Fee Mee).

An AFM number is required to buy a car or motorcycle, to rent or buy property and to legally work in Greece (for National Insurance and tax).

If you are buying land or property through an estate agent, the agent, your accountant or your lawyer can apply for the tax number for you. Otherwise apply at the local tax office (Eforia - DOY). It's a relatively simple procedure and one will be issued to you on the spot. You will require your passport (copy) and a copy of your birth certificate.

Once you have obtained an AFM number you are registered with the tax authorities and are required to submit a yearly tax return in Greece, regardless of income.

There is a form of 'wealth tax' on property, land, cars etc and you are required to declare income for the 'deemed' value. If property or a car are bought with cash from outside of Greece, you must justify this amount by keeping a copy of the bank transfer and 'pink slip' issued by the bank.

Tax returns must be completed yearly by those resident in Greece (including pensioners who receive a pension from another country), those owning property in Greece, and those receiving an income in Greece.

There are bilateral taxation agreements in place to avoid double taxation, but tax declarations must be made in Greece (even if a nil return) for those in any of the above circumstances.

The tax year runs from January to December and tax returns are due by the following April/May.

In all cases it is advisable to consult a Greek accountant to discuss individual tax obligations.

Council tax is applied on utility bills bi-monthly and is a minimal amount.

Read more about this country

Information courtesy of Carol Palioudaki, author of The Cool Guide to Living in Crete, available at www.livingincrete.net

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.