Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hong Kong - Importing Your Pet

Dogs and cats can be transported into Hong Kong, but must be done so with special permission. A Special Permit must be obtained from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department in advance and there are certain guidelines that have to be met before you can take them to your new dwellings.

The Relevant Ordinance falls under the Public Health (Animals and Birds) Ordinance Cap. 139, and the Rabies Ordinance Cap. 421 and these are enforced by this Department. The application procedure consists of filling out Form No. AF240. The form can be viewed, downloaded, and printed through the website.

The fee has to be paid when you submit the application. For one animal, the fee is HK$432. Each additional animal is HK$102. You can pay by either e-check or a crossed local cheque if the application is made on a local basis. If it is made overseas, the fee has to be paid by a bank draft in Hong Kong currency payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region". Cash is not accepted.

You can apply either by person or by mail to the:

Permit & Certification Unit (Counter No. 10)
Import & Export Division, 5th Floor
Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices
303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong

The process time is 5 working days from the date of receipt of application form and permit fee to the date of issue. These, of course, are subject to provision of all required information. It’s important to apply in advance.

When you apply, you should enclose a self-addressed envelope together with the application. You can pick up the permit at the permit at the licensing office in person or by an appointed agent. It will not be sent by fax. If you are overseas, you can appoint someone in Hong Kong to apply for the permit on your behalf. The permit itself is valid for six months. The animal has to be imported on or before the expiration date.

Quarantine regulations vary by country of origin. Dogs and cats that are imported straight from the U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, Japan and Taiwan are usually exempted from quarantine as long as they are in full compliance with the permit terms.

Dogs and cats from other countries might also be exempt from quarantine but since rabies regulations can vary, it’s important to check with Hong Kong’s official website before assuming that your pet does not need to be placed in quarantine.

Dogs and cats that do need to be quarantined must be placed there for four months. The quarantine takes place at the Animal Management Centre of the Department. Dogs and cats must also have been fully vaccinated before coming to Hong Kong to ensure they have built up sufficient antibody and prevent the spread of infectious agents. It is recommended that the quarantine be booked at least 3 months in advance to guarantee that your pet will have a place. For more information regarding quarantine, visit:

If dogs or cats are imported from Mainland China, you must have an Import Permit in advance. The animals are also subject to a minimum 4-month quarantine upon arrival in Hong Kong.

Before your pet is shipped, it’s important to get a complete medical history from your vet. Animals with doubtful histories or those that show clinical signs of diseases can be subjected to longer periods of quarantine. Dogs and cats that lack the proper documentation may be required to undertake a minimum of six months quarantine at the owner's expense or be returned.

For more information, contact:

Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Tel: (852) 2708 8885

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy