Every year, thousands of people purchase property in Portugal. After all, with friendly local people, warm summers and incredible landscapes, what’s not to love?However, with the weather in Portugal fluctuating hugely every season, properties can often take a hit. Temperatures which exceed 30 degrees Centigrade in the summer switch to torrential storms in the winter, diverse weather patterns which can have a profound impact on the condition of a property – especially if you’re not there to keep an eye on it! This is one of the reasons why using a property management agency can come in handy.
What Does A Property Management Agency Do?
A property management agency is there to save you time and worry by caring for your property for you. There are various levels of service available, and the one that you require will depend on your personal situation. Common services include:
• Marketing your property
• Dealing with rental prospects and enquiries
• Screening tenants
• Arranging viewings
• Managing the associated paperwork and payments
• Dealing with client queries or complaints
• Pursuing evictions (if necessary)
• Handling property maintenance and repairs such as cleaning the drains and gutters, ensuring homes are pest free, ensuring smoke alarms and lightbulbs are functioning as well as any pool and lawn maintenance.
The level of service available from an agency is often tailored to your individual requirements. This is hugely beneficial for landlords and homeowners as it means you can use these services whether you have one property which requires minimal input or 10 properties which require a year-round management service.
How Much Do Property Management Agencies in Portugal Charge?
Choosing to use a property management agency can be a big decision and doesn’t tend to come cheap. However, the right agency can not only serve as a relief to the demands of busy upkeep but can be a worthy investment to your property.
There are multiple agencies available across Portugal, including Portugal Property Management, Belion Partners and Quinta Do Lago to name a few. The price of these and other property management agencies will vary, largely depending on where your property is located in Portugal. The price will also depend on the size of the property and the level of service you require.
The majority of agencies will charge an ongoing fee for their services. However, there are also agencies out there which operate on a commission model. The good news is that regardless of an agency’s pricing structure, they work as independent contractors and as a result, you not only get access to their talent and expertise, but you do so without having to formally act as their employer.
How To Choose A Property Management Agency in Portugal
When it comes to choosing your management agency, you’ll want one which is either based in (or has a branch near) the area where your property is located. The agencies available to you will vary depending on where your property is based, with there being more options in certain areas such as the main cities or along the coast.
If you’re not sure which agencies are available in your area, you can find out via a Google search or by perusing local directories. If you’re looking for a personal recommendation, it may be worth discussing your requirements on local forums, or on an expat forum, as you may find people who have gone through the process previously and can offer invaluable guidance in addition to agency suggestions.
Alternatively, if you’re in the area where your property is located, it can be beneficial to speak with local residents and chat with estate agents as they may be able to refer you to companies which they recommend or have worked with previously.
Once you’ve narrowed down your options, use caution when selecting the company that you want to work with – after all, they’ll be responsible for both your property and your rental reputation. It’s always important to vet a company by asking comprehensive questions to ensure that they can provide the service that you are looking for. Which is why we’ve compiled the following questions for you to use when contacting property management agencies in Portugal.
Questions To Ask Potential Property Management Agencies
• How much experience do you have with managing rentals in this area?
• What services do you offer and are there any limitations? For example; is weekly maintenance specific to certain weekdays, or can it be provided ad-hoc if required?
• How do you determine the amount of rent to charge tenants?
• What’s included in your management costs and how often are services provided? For example: if towels and fresh linens are provided, how often per stay? Is there a cleaning service during the week or is it cleaned only prior to/after the guests’ arrival?
• Are there any additional fees involved? These might include fees for viewings, emergency call outs or any markups on maintenance fees.
• Who will be in charge of managing my property, and how many other properties do they manage?
• What steps are taken to market a property?
• Are properties often left vacant? And if so, how long does this tend to last for?
• Are there any fees applicable when the property does not have tenants?
• Do you take care of the insurance for this service? If so, what insurances are you covered by?
• How long is the management agreement for, and what is your cancellation policy with regards to contracts?
• What are the management fees and do you have package pricing options when the property is being rented?
• How often will you provide updates on a property?
Have you ever used a property management agency in Portugal? Share your thoughts in the comments below, or answer the questions here to be featured in an interview!