Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners
Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

United Kingdom (UK) - Insurance

A variety of insurance packages might be necessary for life in the UK such as health, life, home, car, and professional liability insurance. There are different types of insurance under these categories, as well as various companies offering different rates.

Health Insurance

The United Kingdom has a social healthcare system in which residents pay taxes to receive services at government-run hospitals. In recent years, private health insurance policies have become more popular.


Saga offers mid-range treatments and comprehensive health care plans for expats; however, it only provides insurance for those aged fifty or older.

April UK

April UK Health Insurance provides treatment only, mid-range, and full cover options for any person.


Aviva provides private healthcare for treatment, diagnostic only, comprehensive, and mid-range cover for any resident of the UK.

AXA-PPP Healthcare

AXA is a PPP health insurance for treatment, comprehensive and mid-range covers.


BUPA Health Insurance provides diagnostic only or comprehensive covers. It does not allow a transfer of existing cover.

Blue Cross-Blue Shield

Blue Cross-Blue Shield offers expat packages for travellers and full-time UK expats. Covers range in co-pays and deductibles.

Life Insurance

Term life, lump sum insurance policies, mortgage life insurance, and whole insurance policies are available to expats in the UK. A lump sum policy can be term or whole in which the entire amount is given at death, whereas others pay out over time. Mortgage life insurance is designed to pay nothing but outstanding mortgage and burial costs.


LV provides lump sum payouts, with a quick and easy online application process.


Saga provides a range of insurance products both in life insurance and other categories for individuals aged 50-80.

Legal and General

Legal and General provides life insurance for people aged 17-84. There is no limit on the expiration of cover.

Post Office

There are a variety of coverage options available from the Post Office, however cover is provided to individuals aged 18-80, with no specific expiration date, based on the cover option chosen.

Tesco Bank

Tesco Bank offers a variety of life insurance products for 17-80 year olds. They also have special options for anyone over 50.

Home Insurance

Home insurance will cover a rental or purchased home for expats. The insurance can be bought for the building and contents, or contents only in the case of rental insurance. The amount provided for content and building is determined by the policy holder.

Direct Life

Direct Life offers an unlimited cover for buildings, but £50,000 limit on the contents.

Sainsbury's Bank

There is no specific limit on content cover, and building cover is unlimited at Sainsbury's Bank. There is a discount on home insurance for no-claims of 50%.


Aviva provides a range of insurance products including home, building and contents insurance. Building limit is one million pounds, while the content is limited to £150,000.

Car Insurance

Car insurance is attained in a variety of ways based on whether an expat owns a vehicle or needs temporary cover. For drivers using a company car for a period of less than a full year, temporary cover is considered the most affordable option, since it covers only the days the person will be driving the vehicle. Some companies offer temporary cover for under £20 a day. Comprehensive and collision policies are also possible. The most one needs is liability cover when driving a car; however, more insurance is better to avoid hefty fees should an accident occur.

Tesco Bank

Tesco Bank has a variety of car insurance policies and will include a courtesy car with breakdown cover.

Direct Line

Direct Line varies their car insurance policies to include temporary and year-round policies for expats.

Professional Liability Insurance

Professional liability insurance is required for anyone who owns a business as an expat in the UK. Whether the business is selling goods or services, it must have professional liability insurance in the event an accident happens on the property. It protects the business owner’s personal funds in court, as well as the business itself.


AXA offers professional liability or indemnity insurance to professionals for up to £5 million.


Hiscox is a professional liability insurance company with specific professions covered including IT consultants. They provide particularly useful policies for self-employed people.

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy