±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Immigration and Visas

Oman - Immigration and Visas

Anyone who chooses to live and work in Oman must first apply for the relevant visas and permits. There is a lot of paperwork involved and you do have to plan in advance. Requirements will vary for nationals of different countries so it is a good idea to check with the Oman embassy in your home country to ensure that you have the correct documentation in place.

In order to obtain a visa to live and work in Oman you must meet a certain number of criteria. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months. Nationals of other Gulf States who have national identity cards may not need a passport. You should also have a birth certificate, medical certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable. Travellers should be aware that anyone who has a stamp in their passport from Israel will not be allowed entry.

Medical certificates are required to show that you are in good general health and are free from any sexually-transmitted diseases such as HIV and AIDS. Further medical examinations may be necessary once you have arrived and settled in the country.

If you arrive in the country without the relevant visas you will more than likely be turned away, although people who have been resident in another GCC state for one year may be able to get a tourist visa when they arrive in Oman, but this will also depend on certain criteria.

If you are offered a job in Oman then it is the company who wishes to employ you which will have to sponsor your visa and make the arrangements on your behalf. Most companies will have a member of staff whose job it is to guide you through the process, but these visas are dependent upon you having a solid offer of employment.

There is also now the possibility of long-term residency of the country. Expats who choose to purchase a property to either live in themselves or rent out to another, can apply for this status. The Omani government is trying to attract further foreign investment in the country and make it more attractive to those who wish to retire there.

It is often recommended that you leave your passport with your employer as all companies are subject to random checks to ensure that they are not employing illegal workers. This is not compulsory and the Omani authorities actually advise against it. You should be able to keep your passport with you.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.