Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Sweden - Visas

Anyone traveling to Sweden must have a passport which is valid for at least 90 days, though it’s always recommended to have at least 180 days left on your visa when traveling anywhere. Anyone entering Sweden should allow for blank pages in the passport in case it needs to be stamped. If an EU/EAA, Liechtenstein or Swiss citizen is traveling to Sweden then they may not only stay up to 90 days without a visa but technically, these citizens can present their ID in the form of identification. Passports should always be brought too.

Visas are granted for a business or conference visit, tourism, a cultural exchange, a traveling sports person for a sports event, transit or other specific purposes linked to an economic or personal nature. Information on the costs of visas can be found here.

Short stay visas Up to 90 days (567.975 SEK)

Entry and short stay (Schengen) Visa (Non EU/EAA)

This visa means you can enter one country in the Schengen zone and travel without border control to the next. It covers short-term tourism, transit to a non Schengen destination, business, medical purposes, members of official delegations or for religious, sports, filming or cultural purposes. Also included in the list are internships, training, research, spouses and underage travelers. It is a short term visa of 90 days which means this limit cannot be exceeded in any 6 month period. This is not a visa for those working or studying. The visa must be applied for in person at a Swedish consulate or embassy or alternative Schengen embassy. Those seeking this specific visa must prove that they have the finances to provide for themselves during their stay in Sweden The waiting time can be 2+ weeks. The list of countries that require a visa is here.

Other citizens

Citizens of Canada, the USA, Australia, Japan, Switzerland, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, and EU nationals do not need a Schengen visa to enter the Schengen territory but can apply for their residence permit after entering if staying more than 90 days.

Transit Visa (Non EU/EAA)

Transit visas come in two types:

• A category is for citizens who require a visa to travel through the international transit area of any Schengen country airport. Those needing such a visa are listed here.
• C category is a visa for citizens who are heading to a non Schengen country but are traveling through a Schengen airport. They must stay in the international transit area.

Short stay student visa (Non EU/EAA)

For those who will be staying in Sweden as a student for no more than 90 days. The list of countries that require this visa is here.

Long stay visas 90+ days (937.15 SEK)

National visa (D-visa) (up to 12 months) (Non EU/EAA)

This visa is for citizens outside Sweden who wish to apply to visit Sweden for 3 -12 months. The application must be done in person to the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in their home country. This visa is granted to individuals who need to travel to the Schengen area to study, work or permanently reside. It is granted in the instances of work at a higher institution or research centre, a sportsman, artist or professional traveling due to their expertise, an individual attending an international student programme or it is required for an individual who has a medical condition which has prevented prior leaving.

Visitor’s permit (Non EU/EAA)

A visitor’s permit is a special kind of permit to enter Sweden for more than 90 days which is by invitation. The qualifying reasons are: a familial visit, visiting a friend, a business visit or ‘other reason’ which the individual can write on the application form and hand in for assessment. Applications are reviewed after you apply in person at your home country’s Swedish embassy or consulate. The person you are visiting in Sweden will fill out a form inviting you to stay which is used alongside the application. You must have suitable finances for your stay. An interview takes place after the application and the embassy/consulate reserves the right to grant or refuse the permit.

*If you are an EU/EEA individual living in Sweden and you want to invite a non EU/EEA family member to Sweden they require a visitor’s permit.

Residence permit (Non Nordic citizens) For those who wish to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days a residence permit is required. The permits are granted to those who are employees, service providers, equipped with sufficient funds, self employed or a student. If in the country the individual must get their Personnummer from the Skatteverket office (Swedish Tax Agency). This should be easily granted for EU/EEA citizens and fairly easy for non EU/EEA citizens working in Sweden with a work permit. As non EU/EEA citizens cannot enter Sweden without a work permit, it is unlikely for them to be granted a residence permit if applying for it outside of the country. Those exempt from that rule are:

Dependants (Non EU/EEA)

People with family ties to a resident of Sweden may have residence permits granted to them. They must not work on this permit. The family member must be a spouse, future spouse, children under 18 or a registered partner.

Students (Non EU/EEA)

This can be applied for before they travel to Sweden in the case of students who will be in full time education at a Swedish university having paid their first tuition instalment. The student must go to their local Swedish embassy or consulate and apply. They must also show proof of health insurance and sufficient funds.

Work Permits

EU and Nordic citizens

Nordic and EU citizens may work in Sweden without a work permit for 90 days and after this date they register to be residents.

(Non EU/EEA)

Work permits are granted to non EU/EEA workers before they come to Sweden. The job must have been advertised for at least 10 days in the EU and Sweden and there must be certain terms of employment as reviewed by a specific trade union. The salary must be the same as or better than a pre taxed SEK 13,000. The permit lasts two years and after this the individual may apply for permanent residence.

For more information read up on work permits at the Swedish Migration Board website.

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy