Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Trinidad and Tobago - Immigration and Visas

Citizens of the European Union do not require a visa to simply enter Trinidad and Tobago. Those from any other country should check with their local Trinidadian embassy to ensure that they have the correct documentation in place before making their journey. Residents of some countries may be able to go through a process to obtain a visa waiver, although this can cost several hundred dollars.

Residents of some Far Eastern countries or some in Eastern Europe will not be eligible for the visa waiver and should ensure that they do not try to enter Trinidad and Tobago without the relevant documentation as they would just be sent home. In order to apply for an entry visa applicants require the completed visa application form, a valid passport, a passport photograph, the local address where they will be staying (address of friend/family member or hotel) and a proof of return ticket. They must also be able to show that they have a good reason for visiting the country. The cost of applying for a visa can also be several hundred dollars.

Anybody who intends to do any kind of work related activity while they are in the country, regardless of whether or not it is paid work, must be in possession of a valid work permit if they intend to remain for more than 30 days. Stays of less than 30 days may be without a work permit, but a person is only allowed one such stay in any 12 month period.

If applying for a work permit, it is necessary to have a medical certificate if you plan to stay in the country for more than one year. Those who are in possession of a Certificate of Recognition of a Caribbean Community Skills Qualification that has been issued in Trinidad and Tobago will not require a work permit, though this status must be certified by the Department of Immigration.

Work permits are only issued to a named person and for work relating to a specific company or organisation. As such, it is a good idea to ensure that you have a firm offer of employment before you make your application. The company intending to employ you can make this application on your behalf, which must be sent to the Ministry of National Security and all applications are subject to approval. All work permits are subject to a fee, which may be in the region of $2000, but this is variable. It may be the case that your employer will pay this but you will need to check with them before the application is made.

Read more about this country

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy